Triglyceride level 200-499 mg/dl is considered as high range including 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 220 ,225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 240, 250, 260, 270, 280, 290, 300, 310, 320, 330, 340, 350, 360, 370, 380, 390, 400, 410, 420, 430, 440, 450, 460, 470, 480, 490 .
This means that the risk of developing a variety of complications such as cardiovascular disease, strokes, metabolic syndrome, peripheral arterial disease, etc is very high, and the risk increases with the increase of triglyceride level.
The main causes of such high triglycerides are obesity, eating more calories than needed, kidney disease, some drugs such as beta-blockers, diuretics, birth-controlled pills, etc, drinking too much alcohol, genetics,s, etc.
What does having triglyceride level 200-499 mg/dl mean?
Before stating the importance of having a triglyceride level of 200-499 mg/dl, it is important to know some basic information about triglycerides.
Triglycerides are an important component of the body, which circulate in the bloodstream.
They are a type of lipid that is stored in the unused energy of the body. When we eat more calories than we need, our body stores the excess energy in the form of triglycerides and stores them in the fat cells.
People mistakenly equal triglycerides and cholesterol, but be careful: they are not the same thing. They are two kinds of different lipids, serving different purposes.
Triglycerides are types of unused energy providing your body with energy, whereas cholesterol is used to build some types of important hormones and cell membranes.
Having a triglyceride level of 200-499 mg/dl means you have high triglyceride levels, and you need to take measures in order to prevent further complications.
Triglyceride level 200-499 mg/dl – What is the level of risk for cardiovascular disease?
Having a high triglyceride level puts you at an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
It is yet unclear how, but high triglycerides contribute to the hardening of the arteries, the thickening of the arterial walls, and the buildup of the plaques. All these processes narrow the lumen of the coronary arteries and, therefore, diminish the blood flow.
Less blood flow means less oxygen reaching the cardiac cells, and the lack of oxygen causes the suffering of these cells. This is a serious situation that can result in acute infarction of myocardial cells and even death.
Triglyceride level 200-499 mg/dl – What about the risk for any other health problems?
Apart from cardiovascular complications, triglyceride levels of 200-499 mg/dl can cause other health problems, with the same mechanism as described above.
1. Peripheral arterial disease– this is a disease that affects the arteries of the upper and/or lower limbs, with an increased possibility of affecting the arteries of the lower limbs.
2. Strokes – this is a serious health issue, caused by the lack of oxygen as a result of plaques or hardening of the arterial walls of the cerebral arteries. The symptoms vary depending on the part of the cerebral tissue affected.
3. Metabolic syndrome – It is a cluster of conditions that includes too much fat around the waist, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol levels.
Triglyceride level 200-499 mg/dl – What are the Causes?
The main causes of triglyceride levels 200-499 mg/dl are as follows:
1. Poorly controlled diabetes
3. Kidney disease
5. Some drugs(birth controlled pills, diuretics, beta-blocker drugs, steroids, tamoxifen, etc)
7. Eating more calories than you need
8. Drinking a lot of alcohol