Are Lovastatin Side effects common to people who take Lovastatin? Is this drug right for you?
Lovastatin is being marketed with various trade names like Mevacor, Altocor, Altoprev, etc.
The usual varieties are the extended-release tablets which release Lovastatin in a gradual and slow manner into the blood, after ingestion.
It is one of the commonest drugs of the statin group prescribed by your physician to control your high blood levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol.
Considering the alarming frequency with which Lovastatin is being prescribed to almost every other person, just in order to prevent atheromatous plaque formation
(1) in your blood vessels, it becomes all the more necessary to be aware of its side effects.
So read on to find the real lowdown on Lovastatin side effects
(2) and then you can be your own judge in determining if this drug is right for you or not, and also if you would like to continue with it on a long-term basis.
Common Lovastatin side effects:
- The commonest effect is seen to be upon the Gastrointestinal system
- Nausea comes on after eating food, and this particular side effect is more when you take 40 mg of the drug as a single does in the afternoon.
- Bloating of the abdomen with flatulence
- Pain in the abdomen
- Trouble or sluggishness in the digestion of the food consumed, may again aggravate the feeling of bloating of the abdomen.
- Disorders of motion like constipation on one hand or even development of diarrhea on the other hand.
- Headaches are quite troublesome and this is a usual accompaniment when you are taking almost 80 mg of lovastatin in a day, in 2 divided doses
- Relentless itching of the body with discernible rashes over the complete body
- Burning, itching, and irritation in the eyes.
Severe side effects of Lovastatin that need immediate medical attention:
- It goes without saying that the graveside effects are always on the Liver and warrants immediate stopping of any further use of the drug
- Liver damage can be diagnosed by the usual symptoms which accompany Hepatitis like yellowish discoloration of the mucous membranes, skin, nails, and eyes, itching, pain in the abdomen, and nausea with intolerance of any food.
- Muscle damage is next among the dangerous side effects which are diagnosed by the development of severe pain and tenderness of muscles, with cramps and associated high fever.
- Neurological symptoms like attacks of dizziness and repeated headache.
- Blurring of vision
The studies (2) clearly show the following additional facts about the relation of dosage of the drug being consumed and the incidence of symptoms as listed below:
- More the dosage of the Lovastatin being consumed, the more is the incidence and severity of its side effects
- Some lovastatin side effects are more with 40 mg taken once in the afternoon like nausea and most of the other effects were much more marked with the use of Lovastatin 40 mg twice daily.
Now you can decide what you need to do with your health. In case you decide to give yourself a break from the dangerous side effects of the stains, you can opt for alternative approaches for your cholesterol management.